Mailing List Checklist
When preparing to send out a direct mail piece, there are 6 simple steps you should take to insure your mailing list is ready for your marketing campaign.
Not only do you want the mailing to get out on time, you will also want to be sure you will get the best return on investment. This includes making sure the list you are using is up to date and meets with the USPS rules for bulk mail.
When you rent your list from a reputable list broker, they should prepare the list to comply with the USPS rules, but it is always good to ask your list broker to verify when the list was last NCOA’d, etc. Here is a checklist to help make sure your list will be ready for your mail piece.
- Is the list targeted to the right audience? When renting a list, be sure target prospects are similar to your best customers
- Is the list current? When was the list last updated?
- Was it run through NCOA (National Change of Address)?
- Was it passed through the DMA’s “do not mail file”?
- Was it purged of deceased persons?
- Does it need to be checked for duplicates? Do you want to reach only one person in a household/address?
- Would adding “Or Current Resident” make sense for this mailing?
- Would the mail piece benefit from Personalization?
- If personalizing, is the list Capitalized properly?
- What about initials as First names (e.g. H. Ross Perot).
- Would a reference to their COMPANY, LOCATION (CITY/STATE) grab more attention?
- What about empty fields? Choose a default name (e.g. Guest, Friend)
Dunhill International List Company is celebrating it’s 80th anniversary in the list industry. The company currently provides over 30,000 constantly updated mailing, email and telemarketing list categories. Our account executives offer essential sales guidance for consumer and business to business direct marketers. Call 1-800-DUNHILL (386-4455) today for your free list consultation.